Thursday 13 September 2012

Book Review - Trust your Eyes by Linwood Barclay

Title - Trust Your Eyes

Author - Linwood Barclay

Publisher - Orion Books

ISBN - 978 1 4091 1502 1 hardback

ISBN - 978 1 4091 1504 5 e-book

Blurb.
Ray Kilbride is an illustrator for different publications. His Brother Thomas is somewhat mentally challenged and lives at home in his Dad's house in Promise Falls; a small town where everyone seems to know everyone. Thomas has an addiction with studying maps and particularly a map computer programme called Whirl360, which photographs every street in the world. He believes he's working for the CIA, although obviously no-one believes him. Life changes for him one day when he's studying the streets and thinks he's seen on one of the photos, a murder taking place. Problem is will anyone believe him?

Then there's the story of 31yr old Allison, who is behind in her rent; works in a bar in New York but hasn't really got her life together. She's so irresponsible that when her Mother gives her the money to pay off her debts, she books a holiday with the money.

Review
As always with a Linwood Barclay book, I looked forward in anticipation of a thrilling read. I have to admit that unlike some of his other books, the prologue really didn't grip me, and reading it I was a bit disappointed and unsure of what was to come. Normally the prologues in a Linwood Barclay book are thrilling, but this really wasn't.

One thing I do love about Linwood Barclay books are the short chapters. This allows two stories (in this case, the lives of Thomas and Ray and also Allison) to run alongside each other, making a complex story easier to follow. In reading this, you wonder where their lives will collide. I thought straight away that I could see where the story was going, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Despite a disappointing start, the book was so intriguing with the author taking you on so many twists and turns that I ended up where I couldn't put it down. It was so well written that Mr Barclay lead you into believing one thing, and then at the very end threw you in a completely different direction.

Although it's not my favourite of Linwood Barclay's books, he has proved yet again that he is a world class author, and doesn't need to write books with other well known names to be a success.




This book was given to me as a prize by Orion books, prior to publication.
I was not paid for my review, and the words & thoughts are all my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.