Tuesday 31 July 2012

Book Review - The Closing by Stella K


Title - The Closing

Author - Stella K

Format - E book

Publisher - Armida Publications

Bella Nars is a corporate lawyer. Her birthday is coming up and sadly for her, she is not going to be celebrating it at home with her friends drinking cocktails, she is being sent to Moscow on business to deal with a contract. She is not happy and pictures herself stuck in a boring Moscow hotel alone for her Birthday. However, nothing could be further from the truth. Without giving anything away, a stranger comes into her life whilst she is there, completely catching her off guard. Things then get quite intense in more ways than one and Bella wonders if she will ever see home again.

My review.
The book starts off with a snippet of what is to come later in the book, which is very intriguing. Then the book goes into Chapter 1, which starts with Bella being told she has to go to Moscow. This part was a bit slow for me, after the thrilling snippet at the start, but I gradually got into it a bit more.
I found Bella, the main character a strong and personable young woman, and instantly liked her. I found that once Bella arrived in Russia, the story itself seemed to flow better. I expected it to be all about corporate law, a quite emotive subject, but that couldn't have been further from the truth. The book was well paced and kept me hooked. I felt myself very distrusting of the other main character, Dima, but eventually warmed to him.
I like the added intrigue which brought in some other characters to the fold too. Bella remained a strong character throughout the book which was good, as some authors take a strong female character and then turn them into weak and feeble characters.
I loved the authors talk of Mauritius, having been to the places she mentioned and having stayed at the hotel she talked about I was able to picture it in my mind too.
In all, this was a well written book, with personable characters and a good storyline. I awarded it 4* as I really liked it, only dropping a * as I found chapter one a bit slow.


The book was given to me by the author to review. I have not been paid for my review and the words and thoughts are entirely my own.



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read! At least there is only one slow chapter. :) Great review!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jess. It's often nice to read lesser known authors. Sometimes I think they are better than those that supposedly write about 4 books a year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.